The e-waybill in GST replaced the state-level challans for the movement of goods in the pre-GST era with a single document wherever there is movement of goods. e-waybill is to be generated, and it is an initiative of CBIC as one of the anti-tax evasion measures.
Every registered person who is either the supplier or recipient of goods shall, at the time of movement of goods, generate an e-way bill if the value of the goods transported exceeds Rs 50,000.
Registration on the e-waybill portal – Persons registered with the GST
- Firstly, the persons who are already registered shall have to enter the GSTIN on e-waybill Portal.
- Then authentication will be carried through an OTP sent to the mobile registered mobile number.
- After that, create a username and password to use the E-way portal.
Registration on the e-waybill portal – Persons not registered with the GST
- If the person is not registered with the GST, then the person has to provide PAN details on the e-waybill portal.
- Then authentication is required to be carried out through an OTP sent on the mobile number registered with Aadhar.
- The applicant has to provide the business details on the e-waybill portal.
- After that, the applicant has to create the username and password to use the e-waybill portal.
- Business details include the principal place of business or the name of the proprietor or main person of the company/firm.
- e-waybill has to be generated from the e-waybill portal before transporting goods by rail, road, or airways.
Also Read: Benefits of GST Registration
Other Points regarding Registration under the E-way Bill portal
- If any person cannot enroll as a transporter or the system shows a message, ‘PAN details are not validated,’ then the person has to enter the exact name and number as shown in the Income tax database.
- If any person cannot enroll as a transporter or the system says ‘Aadhar details are not validated’, then the person has to enter their correct Aadhar number and validate the same if the person cannot use his PAN number for enrolment.
- If someone does not recollect their username/password, the user can retrieve them by clicking “Forgot Username ” or “Forgot Password’. The user also needs to authenticate the same via an OTP.
- If the registered user on the e-waybill portal wants to update their latest business name, address, mobile number, or e-mail id on the e-waybill portal. In that case, the taxpayer has to update the same in GST Portal, which will be updated on the e-waybill portal within a day.
- EWB system will not allow taxpayers to update these details directly in the E-way bill system.
- What if the person cannot receive OTP when generating an e-waybill? Then alternatively, the person can also give the mail id for generating the OTP.
- Suppose the e-waybill portal shows the wrong address or mobile number while trying to register. In that case, the taxpayer can resolve this by clicking on ‘Update the Common Portal’ and then update the correct information and shall submit the same.